Monday, July 6, 2009

Making Friends

One of the most rewarding things we have experienced doing this workamping thing is the opportunity to meet people from all walks of life. We have a man named Wayne and his wife Rae here that have been with us the past 26 out of 31 days. They are from southern California and he is a WW2 vet. The gentleman will turn 88 years young on July 9th and he has been coming to this area the last 50 years. He has taken me out fishing several times in his fishing boat and I have had the pleasure not only of hearing his life experiences but also of catching some very nice fish with him. He had to leave the campground for 5 days due to his 16 day stay, here you can stay 16 days, leave 5 and come back 16 more. He offered me his boat to use while he went to another campground, so Cindy and I got to see the lake and campground from a different view. There is nothing more relaxing and peaceful than fishing in his boat and taking in the beauty of the eagles, the pelicans sweeping down and chasing the seagulls until they drop whatever reward they have in their mouth, or the snow covered mountains off in the distance. For this I would like to thank Rae for giving up her seat and giving me the opportunity to go with Wayne, and to let Wayne know how much I have enjoyed his company while fishing.

There is another gentleman here who is Wayne’s friend named Bob. He has taken Cindy and I out fishing in his boat. Bob is a catch and release person who enjoys hunting for the “big ones”. The pictures I have on the blog are some of the “big ones” we found. Cindy and Bob both hooked one at the same time and brought them in at the same time. The picture is a little hard to tell, but both of the fish were around 23-25 inches and both were rainbow trout. Now I know that some of you are wondering where my fish is. Well I must confess that I got my butt kicked again by my loving wife when it came to the big one(or anything at all that day). But I will say that watching her catch one and trying to reel it in was every bit as rewarding as if I had caught it myself ( well almost). Some of the other pictures here are from our time spent fishing with another couple named Bill & Cathy Allen. The picture with the fish on the table was taken after we had an excellent evening out with them. All of the fish we caught were 17-20 inches in length. Thanks Bill for sharing your boat with us and allowing us the chance to catch some real nice fish!



The opportunity to meet the people above, and have them share some of their life experiences with us, have been some of the most rewarding things about this job. My hope for them is they will continue to have more experiences to share with other people such as Cindy and I.

The other pictures here are of Virginia City which was at one time a very prosperous mining town.

There is a quote I read that said, “life is not about how many breaths you take, but about the moments that take your breath away. Well I must say that Cindy and I are enjoying the “moments that take our breath away”.

2 comments:

  1. You do realize that Laura and I are coming up in September right?! ... You and mom better leave some fish in that lake for us to catch too !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you said it right, life is about enjoying things and making friends-sounds as if you and Cindy are having both luxuries. I'm sure the people are enjoying the 2 of you too. The grandkids can't believe the fish that your catching and that you eat them-Nolan said WOW! Miss and love ya both!

    ReplyDelete