Sunday, August 23, 2009

FINALLY, THE KING IS ON THE THRONE !!!

The picture of the berries that you see are the result of Cindy and I picking Huckleberries. Out here in the west huckleberries are the big thing. To me they kind of taste like a blueberry but are smaller in size. The one thing I do know is this, to buy anything with huckleberries in it is very expensive. They say the going rate for a pound of berries is around 40 dollars, yes you read it right, $40. They only grow at altitudes of 6000 ft. so I guess this is why they cost so much. I will say they are very tasty in pancakes and oatmeal. The only thing you have to be careful about when picking them is that YOGI the bear is not close, bears do not appreciate you stealing their berries.

The past few weeks we have pretty much just hung around the campground. We did take a hike (5 miles total) to view Fairy Falls in the park. I suppose it was by chance that we picked one of the hottest days this summer to do this hike and needless to say the heat was no fun. The total hike was 5 miles and we kept asking people on the way back to the falls “ is it worth the walk” and everyone said yes. I guess after seeing Yosemite Falls in California and Multnomah Falls in Oregon, our expectations were too big. The falls was ok and it was refreshing sitting by it, but was it worth the 5 mile hike? Come out and try it and you tell me!

We have continued to catch some nice fish the past week although one has to really go out and find them. The fishing from the shore has slowed tremendously but people are still catching nice ones by trolling or fly-fishing. The picture of the man and myself in the boat was taken when we went out for an evening of fishing. This man is 85 years young and quite the storyteller. I have enjoyed spending numerous trips on the water with him and listening to stories he has to tell. He told me one day to start using his boat so Cindy and I could go fishing so we listened to him and have been doing such.

Now for the BIG NEWS !!!! I have knocked the Queen from the throne!!! Yes you read it right; I have finally caught one bigger than Cindy. I’m quite proud to say I landed one a couple of days ago that weighed in at 3.5 lbs.,(on a cheap Zebco scale. Maybe 4lbs on a digital scale) talk about someone having a s**t eating grin on his face, well I will be the first to tell you I did. Not only was this my biggest catch of the season, the color of the fish was absolutely beautiful. It was a male brown trout and his color was outstanding. Had the fish been 5 lbs. I would have had him mounted and hanging on our living room wall, but instead I chose to have him lying in our freezer. We still have about three more weeks so it is still possible for the KING to lose his seat, but until then I get to claim the biggest. I must also give credit where credit is due and if not for Cindy taking the rod and bringing it closer to the boat so I could net it, I’m not sure I could have done it alone. (No I’m positive I could not have done it by myself) so a big thanks for her in helping me ( TEAMWORK ) Till next time enjoy the pictures and feel free to leave a message.

2 comments:

  1. Well yes it is a beautiful fish, and your grin could certainly tell how happy you were to get such a big catch! Just remember Cindy still has time-so goooooo Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey what is this gooooooo Cindy stuff? You should be cheering on your brother to reign on the throne!!

    ReplyDelete